Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. Drive up the highest mountain in Austria.
Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is all about heights and unbelievable views. In Austria, there are several mountain peaks exceeding the height of 3000 m. Actually almost 25. One of them, the majestic Grossglockner stretches a full 3798 meters towards the sky. The highest mountain in Austria is visited by car, by hikers, by mountain climbers and mountain bikers. It easy to understand why. The beauty is astounding, the nature unique, and the animals are a wonder. How they survive in the heights year round and move around effortless. You have to reach a certain height to be able to walk, bike and climb, and you can do it by car, due to an engineering masterpiece of a road. You can approach the Grossglockner in many different ways: it is the highest mountain of the Austrian Alpines, one of the most striking elevations in the Eastern Alps and the summit of passion for many a mountaineer and mountain climber. First attempts to climb it failed back in the 19th century. The mountain is also home to people, hotels and restaurants, numerous animals and rare plants. The Glockner is cloaked in secrecy, is the stuff of legend and has great attractive power. Hence it is addressed His Majesty Grossglockner, only appropriate. Join us and get to know his majesty, the Grossglockner, in all its glory.
Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, 48 km panorama mountain driving
It was decided to build this now famous mountain road more than 80 years ago. The project proved enormous, the challenges were there at every corner of the road to be constructed. The road was opened in 1935 and soon proved a great success. It is easily one the most beautiful panoramic 48 km in the world.
At the same time is it is a most visited tourist attraction in Austria. Motorbikers, runners, mountain bicyclists, hikers, tourists in their cars, everybody wants to go up so high you are above the treeline and you move from lush mountain vegetation to austere high Alps. You are on your way to the heart of the Nationalpark Hohe Tauern.
Explore the Grossglockner mountain
Besides the 48 km amazing road to the top of the highest mountain in Austria, you can explore the area in so many ways. You can hire your own mountain ranger guide and you can see glaciers, waterfalls and steep cliffs and cute animals like those marmots below.
- More Grossglockner, learn about the unexpected wildlife and flowers like arctic Orchids on the hochalpenstrasse.
Traveling to Austria
- Intro to traveling to Austria
- Travel from Europe (Austrian airlines)
- Travel from USA (later)
- Travel from Asia (later)
- See The Austrian National Tourist Office´s website for a wealth of information on what to see and do.
- Vienna Airport for relevant travel information and links.
Active vacation travel inspiration
- If you like the idea of an active vacation like biking, running or hiking, Austria is a sure bet. Read more here about an active vacation in Austria. High in the alps and high on riding your bike in very different terrain: Active vacation in Austria
- See the whole section on active vacations world wide.
Get inspiration for your next vacation by exploring endless travel choices from Traveltalk!