Angel Falls in Venezuela, a UNESCO protected highest waterfall in the world
Angel Falls in Venezuela is the highest waterfall in the world. This is true trip-of-a-lifetime stuff, and right now you’ll have it pretty much all to yourself due to the crisis in the country, but with a guided tour this true adventure is still on the plate after Corona COVID 19. And it is a wonderful and even cheap country to travel in with the necessary precautions.
How high is Angel Falls?
It is the world’s highest uninterrupted waterfall, with a height of 979 meters (3,211 feet) and a plunge from top to bottom of 807 meters (2,647 feet). The waterfall drops over the edge of the Auyán-tepui mountain in the Canaima National Park (in Spanish: Parque Nacional Canaima), a UNESCO World Heritage site in the Gran Sabana region of Bolívar State. The falls are 3230 feet in height, with an uninterrupted drop of 2647 feet. Angel Falls is located on a tributary of the Rio Caroni.
See Angel Falls from the air in 360 degrees and 8k resolution:
Angel Falls made it to Guinness Book of Records
Angels Falls also has made it to Guinness Book of Records. “…there are some records that simply take your breath away, for all the right reasons. One of those is the highest waterfall, held by Venezuela’s Angel Falls. With a height of 979 m (3,212 ft), Angel Falls defines majesty. Its greatest single drop measures 807 m (2,648 ft), with other rapids and cascades combining to form the remaining height, ” wrote Guinness.
Angel Falls, wherein Venezuela are these water falls?
Angel Falls is one of Venezuela’s top tourist attractions, in spite of the fact that a trip to the falls is not easy. The falls are located in an isolated jungle. A flight from Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolívar is required to reach Canaima camp, the starting point for river trips to the base of the falls. River trips generally take place from June to December, when the rivers are deep enough for use by the Pemon guides. During the dry season (December to March), there is less water seen than in the other months.
All you need to know about Angel Falls in Venezuela
- The water drops from the top of Auyantepui, from a height of 979 meters.
- The Angel Falls is 150 meters wide at its base. Under certain conditions, a visitor can feel small water drops at a distance of one kilometer
- It is also called Tuluma Bena or Kerepakupai Meru by locals
- It is more than ten times taller than South America’s most famous waterfalls, the Iguazu Falls
- Angel Falls was discovered by mistake by aviator Jimmy Angels after his plane crashed there
- Jimmy Angel’s plane with which he crashed on the top of Angel Falls can be seen at the Aviation Museum in Maracay.
- In the drier months, most of the water evaporates before reaching the ground.
- Unlike many other natural wonders of the world, Angel Falls was discovered only in the 20th century. In 1935 he first spotted the site and then in 1937 he landed on top of it with his wife
- After crashing on Auyantepui, Jimmy Angels and his wife had to walk out of the jungle. This task was completed in 12 days!
How to visit Angel Falls in Venezuela
- Introduction to traveling i Venezuela, beware of the political crisis (2019) and resulting crime in the country
- The best way to get to the Angel Falls in Venezuela is to rent a plane to the village of Canaima from Caracas (the capital of Venezuela), Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar. After you get to Canaima you will take a river trip to the Angel Falls trail.
It is best advised to visit the Angel Falls during the rainy season between May and November, as the falls will have a more spectacular view. But if you can’t arrange a trip during this period the Angel Falls will still be worth to see all year round. A true wonder of this world.
- Travel from the USA to Venezuela (later)
- Travel from Europe to Venezuela (later)
- Travel from Asia to Venezuela (later)
- Warning against traveling to Venezuela as of April 2020 from the US gov.
Other true adventure trips
- The Iguazu falls in Argentina and Briazil
- Trekking through the Amazon Jungle
- Discover El Mirador, a true wonder in Guatemala
- Son Doong. The world´s biggest cave is in Vietnam